Disconcerting information about uterine cancer – a rare type of cancer, has resurfaced in the news recently. A study from the National Institutes of Health revealed that women who use hair straightening products at least 4 times a year are twice as likely to develop uterine cancer.
And, Black Women are at a higher risk. Below are some key points listed in the article. Use the source links in this post to get a detailed description of the study.
- Uterine cancer is the sixth most commonly diagnosed cancer in women around the world.
- A new study from the National Institutes of Health has found that women who use hair straightening products are twice as likely to develop uterine cancer than those who do not.
- Researchers believe Black women may be at increased risk due to a higher usage rate of hair straightening products.
Source: Uterine cancer: Chemical hair straighteners double risk (medicalnewstoday.com)
The information is both important and disturbing. After reading the articles, you may want to consult your care providers for more information and recommendations specific to your personal circumstances. One question, which comes to mind is does the study indicate that other types of cancer may also be attributed to hair straighteners?
WEBMD HEALTH NEWS, Article written by Lisa O’Mary
The harmful ingredients in hair straightening products are:
- Ammonium thioglycolate (found in relaxer/straightener products that do not use lye)
- Guanidine hydroxide (found in relaxer/straightener products that do not use lye)
- Mineral oil
- Polyethylene glycol
- Sodium hydroxide (found in relaxer/straightener products that use lye)
All the best in Wellness!