As we welcome the beautiful changes of the seasons, we must also have remedies for what those changes bring to our health regimens. HairBlues searched for information we could use to counteract cold and allergy issues. For example, how can we distinguish the difference between when those sniffles are a cold or allergy? Do allergies appear only in the Spring, or do they also come during the Fall season? Below are some clear differences between the two.
Colds are caused by hundreds of different viruses.
When one of these viruses gets into your body, your immune system attacks it. Some of the effects of this immune response are the classic symptoms of a cold:
- Congestion and coughing.
- The germs that cause colds are contagious.
- You can pick them up when an infected person sneezes, coughs, or shakes hands with you.
- After a couple of weeks, at the most, your immune system fights off the virus and you should stop having symptoms. via Difference Between Cold & Allergy Symptoms.
Below are list of some natural cold remedies. You can learn more by clicking this link. Natural Cold Remedies: Supplements, Tea, Soup, and More.
- Zinc lozenges
- Hot Lemon and Ginger Tea
- Vitamin C
- Chicken Soup
When the leaves start to change color and you feel a nip in the air, the main allergy trigger is weed pollen, specifically Ragweed. This pollen peaks in September and can travel for miles on the wind. So even if you live in the city it can make you sneeze. Mold can also be a problem when it develops on wet leaves and soil. via Understanding Seasonal Allergies – My Allergy Guide – ZYRTEC®.
Allergies are caused by an overactive immune system.
- Your body mistakes harmless substances — such as dust or pollen — for germs and attacks them.
- Your body releases chemicals such as histamine, just as it does when fighting a cold. This can cause swelling in your nasal passages, a runny nose, coughing, and sneezing.
- Allergies are not contagious, although some people may inherit a tendency to develop them. via Difference Between Cold & Allergy Symptoms.
Below are list of some natural allergy remedies. You can learn more by clicking this link. via HowStuffWorks “10 Home Remedies for Allergies”.
- Use a Saline solution (salt water) for upper respiratory allergies : one teaspoon with one pint of water
- Drink Peppermint Tea
- Wash your hair and body often to remove pollen
- Keep windows closed
- Remove carpets
I hope this is helpful 🙂